‘Race hate’ arsonists burn down Birmingham community centre

Ulfah Arts arson

Arsonists have destroyed a Birmingham community centre – home to the country’s first female Muslim band – in a suspected racially-motivated attack.

Ulfah Arts and Media, based at Highgate Craft Centre in Highgate Square, was completely devastated in the 5am blaze yesterday. It is home for The Ulfah Collective, the first practising Muslim female band. The group sings traditional Islamic songs alongside Christian gospel music and once appeared in front of 12,000 fans at Wembley Arena with the late Bee Gee, Robin Gibb.

Ulfah Arts and Media spokeswoman Sarah Javid said she feared the arson attack was racially-aggravated and targeted against the social enterprise’s CEO, Prashant Singh.

“Over the last two months our CEO has been receiving hate mail which has been anti-Islamic,” she said. “He also received a DVD which was full of race hate messages. Mr Singh has no idea why anyone would have a personal vendetta against him or the organisation. But the fire has destroyed everything. It’s destroyed equipment, but also all of our projects, some we have been working on for over a year.”

Continue reading

English Defence League set to march in Stevenage

EDL Stevenage protest ad

Members of the EDL – which claims to be a human rights organisation protesting about Islamic extremism but whose marches are characterised by racism, violence, death threats and arrests – plan to march through Stevenage on Saturday, June 7.

The group’s page on social networking site Facebook says the march is “to protest at grooming incidents”. More than 250 people have so far confirmed through the site that they will be taking part in the march, which is set to start at 1pm.

Continue reading

MCB calls on authorities to safeguard mosques against far-right ‘invasion’

So Called ‘Invasion’ of Mosques by Far Right Group, Britain First

The Muslim Council of Britain condemns in the strongest terms the act of violating a place of worship by the recently formed extreme far right, anti-Muslim group, Britain First. The most recent incident occurred at midday yesterday, where the emboldened action by three middle aged men and woman entered one of the largest Islamic institutions in the country, wearing their shoes and trampling on prayer surfaces to carry out their misguided propaganda. This has left many members of the community angered and disappointed with the inability of the government and the authorities to curtail this type of thuggish behaviour.

Continue reading

Montreal police arrest man during arson attack on Muslim community centre

Assahaba Islamic Community Centre vandalisedMONTREAL — Police apprehended a 47-year-old man at a Muslim community centre in the Rosemont neighbourhood early Tuesday morning.

Authorities confirmed that they were forced to use a stun gun after the man resisted arrest. He was caught trying to throw a Molotov Cocktail through a window of the Assahaba Islamic Community Centre on the corner of Belanger and 23rd Avenue.

Police said that the attempted attack was the fifth in just over a month. The man was caught because officers had been staking out the community centre after previous incidents. The man was described as a white Quebecer, with possible links to an extremist organization.

Continue reading

Britain First ‘invasion’ FAIL

Britain First 'invades' ELMBritain First, the fringe far-right, Muslim-hating group, made a second visit to the East London Mosque today (apparently an “invasion” which involved four people).

They left pretty quickly, after a local Community Support Officer spotted their car on zig-zag traffic lines, and run a red light as they made their “getaway”.

Britain First’s previous visit, as part of their misnamed ‘Christian Patrol’, showed them bravely swigging lager and unfurling a banner on the street outside … before again running off quickly.

Of course, members of the public are welcome to attend the mosque and, with a booking, take a tour of the facilities (perhaps Britain First had trouble writing down the number).

Continue reading

Bishop refuses to take action over vicar’s ‘creeping Islamisation’ article, says he ‘would not wish to discourage’ such views

Last week Canon Eric Woods, the Vicar of Sherborne in Dorset, published an article in the Western Gazette opposing “the invasion of halal meat”, which he claimed was part of “the creeping Islamisation of our country”. Unsurprisingly, Woods’ article has been enthusiastically welcomed by far-right Islamophobes and fascists.

I wrote to the Bishop of Salisbury, the Right Reverend Nicholas Holtam, to complain about Woods’ shocking outburst of anti-Muslim bigotry.

Continue reading

Scottish Government criticised as Show Racism the Red Card’s funding reduced by two-thirds

Islamophobia FilmThe Scottish Government has been accused of complacency about racism after cutting the funding of the national charity working to tackle racial intolerance and hate crime.

Show Racism the Red Card has warned it will have to drastically cut its activities in Scotland this year after its grant was slashed by more than two-thirds in three years.

But campaigners say anti-racism education is more vital than ever, with tensions raised as parties such as Britain First, an offshoot of the BNP, campaign ahead of the European elections. The far-right group, founded by Scot Jim Dowson, recently sent members into mosques in Scotland as part of a self-styled “Christian crusade” against Islam.

Show Racism the Red Card, the only national charity with a focus on anti-racism, received government funding of £70,000 for this work in 2012-13. Last year, it was cut to £40,000 and for 2014-15 the funding will be £20,000.

Vicki Burns, campaign manager at Show Racism the Red Card Scotland, said the cash was essential for maintaining core services, such as running the office.

Continue reading

Nick Griffin visits Bolton to protest against plans for Farnworth mosque

Nick Griffin Farnworth mosque protestNick Griffin and members of the British National Party held a controversial protest in Victoria Square against plans to build a new mosque in Farnworth.

About 20 supporters of the far-right nationalist party protested on Saturday afternoon, against Bolton planning committee’s decision on May 1 to allow the Sugrha Mosque in Granville Street to be knocked down to make way for a new one.

Some Bolton residents who walked past the protesters opposed their view and backed the committee’s decision. And Bolton Council bosses insisted the application went through exactly the same process as any other.

Continue reading

EDL march through Newcastle meets anti-fascist counter-protest

Newcastle Unites banner May 2014Up to 400 English Defence League supporters joined forces yesterday to march through Newcastle.

The event started at 1pm in the Bigg Market, snaked along Collingwood Street, on to Westgate Road, along St James’ Boulevard, on to Barrack Road and into Leazes Park. The procession was led to the beating of a drum and chants by its members. Supporters draped in Union Jacks and St George’s flags where hemmed in by lines of police.

The far-right group landed at Leazes Park to the sounds of a DJ in the sweltering heat. And from the bandstand they listened to a string of speakers.

Police wearing high visibility jackets flanked the crowds and in the park they carried riot helmets in case of any trouble.

Continue reading

Police plan to stop English Defence League march through Newcastle’s West End

Newcastle Unites Against the EDLPolice plan to stop the English Defence League marching through Newcastle’s West End tomorrow.

Northumbria Police’s Chief Constable Sue Sim has asked the far-right group to alter the route for its demo believing it would cause distress to residents. However, The EDL has refused to compromise with the force.

Chief Cons Sim said: “Northumbria Police has been speaking to organisers from the English Defence League for a number of weeks following their announcement that they want to hold a march in Newcastle on Saturday, May 17.

“The EDL expressed an intention to march in the West End of the city through a highly populated, residential area. We have made our position clear that we do not support this as the impact on the local community is too great. It poses a risk to public safety, will cause people fear in their own homes and create significant disruption as people try to go about their daily lives.

“Northumbria Police has always tried to facilitate peaceful protest and has worked with the EDL in the past to agree suitable routes for them to march and protest. We also regularly work with other groups with a range of opposing views to agree routes for marches and protest locations.

“Regrettably, this time EDL organisers have not been prepared to compromise on an alternative route, although we would remind them we are still prepared to discuss alternatives.

“Those planning to attend should be aware there has been no agreement with police with regards to meeting points or route locations.”

Protest group Newcastle Unites has also spoken to police about marching through the West End tomorrow. After discussions, the route of this demonstration was altered.

It is understood officers will not allow the EDL marchers to enter the West End.

Continue reading