SDL members to lay wreath for Lee Rigby

Edinburgh anti-SDL protestMembers of the far-right Scottish Defence League are planning a wreath-laying ceremony in memory of murdered soldier Lee Rigby in the centre of Edinburgh tomorrow.

Up to 100 SDL activists are expected to take part in the lunchtime event outside the Scottish Government building in Regent Road, marking the first anniversary of the brutal killing near the Royal Artillery Barracks in London. Two men are serving life sentences for hacking Drummer Rigby to death.

But campaign group Unite Against Fascism has accused the SDL of using Lee Rigby’s murder to promote a message of hate and spread racism. And it is organising a counter-demonstration in nearby Waterloo Place. from 12.30pm.

Continue reading

Call for ‘Muzzer blood’ to be spilled over plan to rebuild Farnworth mosque

Bolton BNP and Frank Whittle
Bolton BNP protesting against the Sughra Mosque development and (right) Frank ‘Muzzer blood’ Whittle

Earlier this month Bolton Council’s planning committee unanimously approved plans by the Sughra Masjid to demolish their existing one-storey place of worship, which has occupied the site since 1987, and replace it with a three-storey building.

Hardly a terrifying example of the creeping Islamification of Farnworth, you might think, but that hasn’t prevented the far right from whipping its supporters up into their usual racist frenzy over the issue.

An online petition against the development has been launched, with the backing of the fascist Bolton Patriot website. So far it has attracted over 500 signatures, along with the usual vituperative abuse of Muslims (“Cannot believe how the western wold allows the scourge of the world race who are so barbaric and full of hatred take over. Absolutely sickens me. I cannot stand what they stand for and don’t even consider them human”).

Continue reading

Britain First fascists target Bradford mosques

Paul Golding harassing Muslims in BradfordFar right activists have targeted mosques in Bradford attempting to hand out Bibles and distribute leaflets accusing community elders of failing to stop grooming gangs.

It is believed members of Britain First, some wearing uniforms, staged the protests at 10 places of worship in the city centre. The group posted images of themselves on Facebook confronting members of the Asian community.

They also visited the office of Labour councillor Nazam Azam. Mr Azam said: “They have come to Bradford to cause residents to fear for their safety. As far as I understand they have tried to access mosques. They tried to hand out leaflets but I don’t know anyone who took anything.”

He added: “It is concerning and disturbing. We have a lot of good work going on in Bradford in terms of community cohesion and for people trying to disturb that the people of Bradford won’t fall for it.”

Mr Azam said the police had been called although West Yorkshire Police could not confirm the incidents on Sunday. It is believed around 10 people took part in the action.

Continue reading

EDL protest in Rotherham

EDL Rotherham May 2014Rotherham was brought to a standstill when hundreds of English Defence League protesters marched through the town.

Hundreds of people from the EDL marched through the town centre between 1pm and 3pm on Saturday, with another large group from Unite Against Fascism holding a counter-protest at the same time.

A huge police presence of around 1,000 officers from forces around the country outnumbered both groups and ensured the march took place largely peacefully. There were no arrests and police said the event saw ‘minimal disruption and no disorder’.

Barriers were set up around the town centre, with the opposing groups cordoned off from each other. The groups traded insults across the barriers but were kept well apart.

EDL members chanted songs mentioning Islam and Allah as they marched. They gathered in All Saints Square to listen to speakers who insisted the organisation is ‘patriotic’, rather than racist.

Continue reading

BNP protest against ‘mosque plan’ meets opposition

UAF anti-BNP demonstration Hemel HempsteadA demonstration by the British National Party against speculative pre-application plans for a new mosque in Hemel Hempstead was countered by two other groups today.

The Unite Against Fascism group and a members of the local Muslim community staged oppositions to the protest in Barnacres Road, where it was suggested the former Nash Mills Methodist Church site could house a mosque in unofficial proposals leaked by Dacorum Borough Council last August.

The BNP presence was led by the party’s organiser for the eastern region Chris Livingstone, who is standing as a BNP candidate in the European elections on May 22.

A strong police presence was maintained throughout the demonstration, with each faction separated by barriers manned by officers, opposite and around The Denes shopping centre.

Continue reading

Vlaams Belang tries to boost election prospects with anti-Islam stunts

Vlaams Belang Flair and Libelle covers

The Helsinki-based company Sanoma Media is threatening to take action against the Belgian far-right party Vlaams Belang for circulating fake front pages of the magazines Flair and Libelle featuring women in veils and burqas.

VB is protesting against the magazines’ refusal to accept adverts for the book Hoer noch slavin – vrouwen en islam (“Whore or slave – women in Islam”) by Anke Van dermeersch, who is leader of the Vlaams Belang group in the Belgian Senate.

VB leader Filip Dewinter has accused Sanoma Media of upholding “the misogynistic views of Islam”. He defended the fake covers, which associate Muslim women with firebombs and grenades, as merely a “humorous parody”.

Last year VB was successfully sued by French footwear designer Christian Louboutin over the use of his shoes on an anti-Islam poster.

Continue reading

Six men in court over EDL violence outside Nuneaton pub

Six men have appeared in court following an incident in which English Defence League supporters were involved in violence outside a Nuneaton town centre pub. The men were arrested after police turned up to deal with fights which broke out in Bridge Street, Nuneaton, and in the doorway of the George Eliot pub.

Noting at the crown court in Leamington that the incident had taken place as long ago as February 2011, Judge Sylvia de Bertodano asked why it had taken so long to get to court. Prosecutor Aliya Rashid explained that the police had been searching for witnesses and trying to track down other people who had been involved.

Continue reading

EDL member described as future killer by own mother

Michael Piggin graffiti and gun

A teenager accused of plotting a “new Columbine” massacre was called a future mass killer by his mother, a court heard.

Michael Piggin allegedly had a hit list of pupils and teachers he wanted to kill. He also plotted to attack a mosque, threatened to murder TV’s David Dickinson and said he wanted to blow up Poundland because “it’s too expensive”.

Piggin’s mother compared him to Adam Lanza who killed 20 US schoolchildren and six staff in Connecticut in 2012, the Old Bailey heard.

Continue reading

5 in court after EDL protest in Thatcham

After 20 people staged a protest in Thatcham, 5 people have appeared in court charged with a string of offences. They gathered in The Broadway on the 28th of February and indicated they were members of the EDL.

The 4 men and 1 woman are charged with a string of offences, including using threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour to cause harassment, alarm or distress.

All five have pleaded not guilty and were released on conditional bail. They are due at Reading Magistrates on the 15th May.

The Breeze, 7 May 2014

Increased police presence for BNP anti-mosque demonstration in Hemel Hempstead

BNP 'unity demo' Hemel HempsteadDacorum’s police chief has promised his officers will ensure ‘minimal disruption’ to the community during the BNP’s planned protest in Hemel Hempstead on Saturday.

Members of the British National Party are planning to demonstrate at the now-derelict site of the Nash Mills Methodist Church on Barnacres Road, which pre-application plans suggested could house a new mosque.

According to Dacorum Borough Council planning officers, no formal applications for a Muslim house of worship have been submitted, or are indeed expected, at this time.

Continue reading